Since the invasion of Ukraine by Russian forces on February 24, LGBTQ+ people in Ukraine have been among the country’s fiercest defenders and organizers, while also being among its most marginalized citizens. The We Support LGBTQ Ukraine Fund is raising monies for six non-governmental organizations in Ukraine that are serving the immediate needs of queer people – particularly those who have remained in the country.
The We Support LGBTQ Ukraine Fund is currently focused on Ukrainian NGOs on the ground. By virtue of being in direct contact with their community members, these organizations are particularly capable of agile and timely responses to individual crises.
These NGOs and their activists are:
- Establishing and sustaining LGBTQ+ safe shelters in numerous Ukrainian cities;
- Assisting with the essential needs of LGBTQ+ people including food, hygienic products and medications such as anti-retroviral therapies for those living with HIV and hormone replacement therapies for trans individuals;
- Coordinating the safe relocation and rehousing of internally displaced LGBTQ+ Ukrainians;
- Providing assistance to/advocating for trans and non-binary individuals navigating Ukraine’s martial law;
- Providing legal support, psychological support and counselling.
The six NGOs that are currently beneficiaries of the fund are:
1. Gender Zed: based in the southeastern city of Zaporizhia, this NGO is currently focused on meeting the essential needs of its community members and coordinating relocation for LGBTQ+ folks who are internally displaced. genderz.org.ua
2. Kyiv Pride: has been a leading voice in the information war, has been meeting essential needs of community members, and has recently opened a shelter for LGBTQ+ folks in Kyiv. kyivpride.org
3. NGO WA Sphere: based in the eastern Ukrainian city of Kharkiv, this organization’s focus during wartime is meeting essential needs of community members, providing psychological support to LGBTQ+ folks and women, and facilitating relocation and shelter of those in unsafe areas. sphere.org.ua
4. Cohort NGO: has been specifically addressing the needs of trans individuals in Ukraine
including securing hormone replacement therapies for community members, partnering with trans-friendly shelters in western Ukraine, and coordinating safe passage for trans and non-binary Ukrainians. cohort.com.ua
5. Fulcrum NGO: has been running several safe shelters for LGBTQ+ folks, has been coordinating income, legal and psychological support for queer Ukrainians. www.t-o.org.ua
6. Insight NGO: has been running 3 shelters for the internally displaced LGBTQ folks along with providing critical medications, psychological and legal support. insight-ukraine.org
LIGA: a long-established LGBTQ+ NGO in Ukraine, LIGA has been providing social supports, humanitarian aid, and HIV/STI health services in multiple centres across the country.
An avid proponent of social justice and education, entrepreneur James Burn matched the first $10,000 CAD raised by this fund, dollar-for-dollar.* Within 5 days of the fund’s inception this goal was reached. Community leaders Salah Bachir and Jacob Yerex then matched the next $10,000 CAD in donations. Now, the generous Linton Family is doubling the next $10,000 CAD raised. The fund plans to have a rolling group of matching donors so as to double the impact of all gifts.
For more information about the fund, please contact its administrator Andrew Kushnir at firstname.lastname@example.org